CIB Castlevania Graded by CGC Video Games Leads Heritage Sale
A complete in box Castlevania certified by CGC Video Games™ is turning heads in an upcoming Heritage Auctions sale. The first production copy of the NES classic is just one of the CGC-certified complete in box games being offered in the Complete in Box Video Game Showcase Auction, which is set to end on February 8, 2024.
The offered Castlevania for the Nintendo Entertainment System (1987) is graded CGC 9.4 with CIB grades of 9.4 for Box, 9.6 for Cartridge and 9.4 for Manual (lot 79019). This copy of Castlevania is a first production edition of the game, making it one of the earliest pieces of Castlevania history. Early production copies of Castlevania are hard to come by, especially in such impressive condition as this one.
Castlevania was released in North America in 1987 and received worldwide recognition for its engaging gameplay and adult atmosphere. The game’s difficulty pleased many gamers who were looking for something more than Nintendo’s usual repertoire, and several critics called Castlevania an instant classic. Castlevania’s success spawned a franchise including over 30 video games, comic books and an animated television series.
Also featured in the sale is a complete in box Mario Bros. for the Nintendo Entertainment System (1986) graded CGC 9.2 with CIB grades of 9.2 for Box, 9.6 for Cartridge and 8.5 for Manual (lot 79074). A NES port of the arcade game, Mario Bros. marked the first appearance of Luigi and featured two player co-op gameplay featuring both of the iconic Italian plumbers. Mario Bros. is significantly rarer than other titles in the Super Mario Bros. franchise for the NES, making it a staple for Nintendo collectors.
Other CGC-certified video games in the auction include:
- a complete in box Popeye for the Nintendo Entertainment System (1986) graded CGC 9.4 with CIB grades of 9.0 for Box, 9.6 for Cartridge and 9.6 for Manual (lot 79084)
- a complete in box Duck Hunt for the Nintendo Entertainment System (1986) graded CGC 9.2 with CIB grades of 9.0 for Box, 9.6 for Cartridge and 9.2 for Manual (lot 79038)
- a complete in box Bubble Bobble Part 2 for the Nintendo Entertainment System (1993) graded CGC 9.0 with CIB grades of 9.0 for Box, 8.5 for Cartridge and 9.0 for Manual (lot 79015)
- a complete in box Bonk’s Adventure for the Nintendo Entertainment System (1993) graded CGC 9.4 with CIB grades of 9.2 for Box, 9.4 for Cartridge and 9.4 for Manual (lot 79014)
- a complete in box The Legend of Zelda for the Nintendo Entertainment System (1987) graded CGC 7.5 with CIB grades of 7.0 for Box, 9.4 for Cartridge and 7.0 for Manual (lot 79069)
Since revolutionizing comic book grading in 2000, CGC has grown to include certification services for many other types of pop culture collectibles. These divisions include CGC Cards, CGC Video Games and CGC Home Video. CGC Cards provides expert card grading for TCGs, sports cards and non-sports cards. CGC Video Games is dedicated to video game grading for the most popular consoles, including Nintendo, Sega, Atari, PlayStation and more. The newest division of CGC, CGC Home Video, provides expert VHS grading in addition to other types of home media.
Are you ready to submit? Join CGC and start submitting with a free account or maximize your savings by becoming a paid member — paid memberships start at just $25 per year and get discounts on submissions. Learn more by clicking here.